Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Michigan

Another one of my 2012 resolutions is to learn more about/get involved in Michigan politics. I feel that I am sadly under-informed about the issues facing our state and it feels rather overwhelming to try to figure it all out. Back in 2011 I attended a couple of Michigan based democratic party political events. It's hard to be new to these sorts of gatherings. People all seem to know each other and have a strong background in the issues. I worry about sounding stupid or not knowing what is going on, but I figure I can't learn much sitting at home.


To kick off my political education, I read former governor Jennifer Granholm's book on her time in office. And you really do need wine and chocolate while reading about the rapid economic decline of your state.



Then Turo and I watched the State of the State address. (Okay, Turo watched Caillou on the iPad) I even took notes. Now I have a list of things I need to learn more about. This includes - emergency financial managers, the second bridge to Canada, how the new business tax will work & what is going on in education.


No comments:

Post a Comment