Thursday, September 22, 2011

13.1 for Ethiopia

Shebidino, Ethiopia. This was the dateline of an article about the food crisis last month. This is also the region of Ethiopia Turo is from. After reading this story about the impact of the “green” drought, I decided I needed to do more to raise funds and awareness about the humanitarian emergency playing out in the Horn of Africa. I felt an e-mail to family and friends linking aid agencies wasn’t enough.

I decided to run in the Detroit ½ marathon on October 16th to raise money for families impacted by drought, food shortages and conflict. I’m not a big runner. Up until a couple of months ago, I went to the gym so Turo could go to Childwatch and I could read magazines on the elliptical or listen to This American Life as I walked around the track. So, running 13 miles felt like a meaningful way I could demonstrate my commitment to Turo’s birthplace and to the people who are trying to survive in the face of unimaginable hardship.

I have chosen to fundraise with Glimmer of Hope, a non-profit that is working with groups on the ground in Ethiopia. Glimmer’s partner organizations, which include Mercy Corps, GOAL and Save the Children, are providing vital services for the Somali refugees streaming into Ethiopia and for Ethiopians living in drought stricken areas. 100% of all donations to Glimmer of Hope will be sent directly to Ethiopia. A separate endowment pays for administrative costs for the agency.

My goal is to raise $1310 ($100/mile). I would be honored if you sponsored a portion of my run. Together we can help address the overwhelming need facing the people in the Horn of Africa.

If you would like to make a donation, you can find my fundraising page at http://www.aglimmerofhope.org/campaign/131-ethiopia. Please, let me know if you have any questions or would like more information about the work Glimmer of Hope is doing in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment