Friday, July 8, 2011

Giving thanks

The other day at the gym I was cooling down on the treadmill feeling pretty good about my run. I finally stepped up my workout routine and had just run (with a little walking ) for three miles. Then I looked up at CNN. Two flag draped coffins were being lowered from an airplane. These service members would never run again, never hug their families again. It felt strange to have the whir of the exercise machines, people just going along with their days while this solemn moment played out in front of us. So I stopped on the treadmill and just stood there. Wanting to somehow honor this loss. And then I headed off to the showers, my life still moving forward.


In moments like this I am struck with the fragility of life, the unbalance of it all. There is so much heartache. Death, illness, hunger, addiction, pain, loss. Yet my little world is filled with joy, laughter and love. (But even a great deal of that happiness originated from loss) I’m grateful for all I’ve been given. I know that there are times ahead that will be rough and unbearable, so each night I give thanks to the universe for getting one more day of sweetness and light.








No comments:

Post a Comment